|Lyles Station Historic Preservation
Corporation Mission Statement
The specific and primary purposes are to unite
organizations in order to insure the Historic
Preservation and welfare of Lyles Station, Indiana, a
community west of Princeton, Indiana. The mission on
the Lyles Station Historic Preservation Corporation is
to preserve the oral, written, and physical history,
artifacts, building, and land which identifies and/or
describes events, activities and life experiences of the
people and the community known as Lyles Station in
Gibson County, Indiana, incorporated in 1886.
|The Lyles Consolidated School was constructed in 1922 and continued to hold
classes until 1958. The ensuing years took a heavy toll on the building’s structure.
In 1996, a former resident of Lyles Station, Stanley Madison, began meeting with
Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana and its African-began meeting with
Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana and its African-American Landmarks
committee, resulting in the formation of the Lyles Station Historic Preservation
The LSHPC was established for the specific and primary purpose of preserving the
oral, written and physical history, artifacts, building and land which identifies and/or
describes events, activities and life experiences of the people and the community
known as Lyles Station in Gibson County, Indiana. In 1999, the same year that the
Lyles Consolidated School was listed on the National Register of Historic Places,
Historic Landmarks Foundation listed it as one of Indiana’s Ten Most Endangered
Places. The Lyles Station Historic Preservation Corporation acquired the property
and began renovations on the building and developed a two-fold plan for use of
the former school. This plan called for the establishment of a museum/local history
center which would provide an opportunity for the public to witness the
accomplishments and contributions of African-Americans, specifically those
persons with heritage in rural southern Indiana, and the development of the
Founder of the Lyles Station Historic Preservation
|Historic Preservation Corporation
The Lyles Station Historic Preservation Corporation (LSHPC), a not-for-profit (501(C) 3) organization, was established in
August 1998 for the specific and primary purpose of preservation of the oral, written and physical history, artifacts,
building and land which identifies and/or describes events, activities and life experiences of the people and the
community known as Lyles Station in Gibson County, Indiana.
The goals of the LSHPC are multifaceted. The first project undertaken by LSHPC was the purchase and restoration of
the Lyles Consolidated school. LSHPC seeks to preserve an important Indiana Landmark with restoration, but in keeping
with the organization’s mission, to give life to the building by making it a useful and attractive community amenity. We
anticipate that the services and programs delivered through this project will enhance the quality of life for residents of
Gibson County. The Lyles Consolidated School building, dating from 1922, is the most prominent building in the
community and one, which, along with the Wayman Chapel A.M.E. church, best indicates the aspirations and values of
the people who dwelt there. The outstanding significance of the school building is recognized beyond Lyles Station.
The school is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a rare surviving manifestation of Indiana’s rural African
American heritage. The school is further recognized for its role as an extraordinary institution from which many
individuals advanced to achieve distinction.
The building ceased to be used as a school in 1958. The ensuring years took a heavy toll on its fabric and structure,
and a portion of the rear of the building is in a state of collapse. In recognition of its importance and its declining
condition, Historic Landmarks Foundation listed it as one of Indiana’s Ten Most Endangered Places. Through the use of
Historic Landmarks Statewide Revolving Loan Fund, the Lyles Station Historic Preservation Corporation purchased and
completed emergency stabilization of the school.
In addition to previous support from the Gibson Community Foundation, LSHPC was awarded a grants from the United
States Department of Agriculture & Build Indiana to complete the restoration of the building. The Architect was George
Ridgway, the contractor Jeffrey Koester both noted by Preservationist to be among the best in the physical restoration of
rare and historic properties.
|Lyles Station Ground breaking with
Senator Lindlel Hume & Judy
O'Bannon, wife of then Govenor of
Indiana, Frank O'Bannon.
Aaron Tyson Sims
|953 N. County Road, 500 W.
Princeton, IN 47670